Today we're going to share with you some Scriptures about marriage that we trust and believe will help you to have a successful marriage that God is pleased with and a happy marriage that lasts in perfect unity to the glory and honor of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. It's not all about remembering your wedding anniversary or trying not to break the marriage covenant, even though those are extremely important.
Today when we look at marriages, we have to undeniably think about the failure rate of the marriage relationship as an institution. It is said that 50% of all marriages fail and in some communities that percentage is even higher, but this should not be.
Cool Scriptures About Marriage For Your Bible Study
- Genesis 2:24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.
- Hebrews 13:4 Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge.
- Ephesians 5:25-27 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.
- 2 Corinthians 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
- Proverbs 19:14 House and riches are the inheritance of fathers: and a prudent wife is from the Lord.
More Cool Scriptures About Marriage For Your Bible Study
- Proverbs 21:9 It is better to dwell in a corner of the housetop, than with a brawling woman in a wide house.
- Matthew 19:2-9 And great multitudes followed him; and he healed them there. The Pharisees also came unto him, tempting him, and saying unto him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife for every cause? And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female, And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh? Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder. They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away? He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so…
- 1 Corinthians 7:39 The wife is bound by the law as long as her husband liveth; but if her husband be dead, she is at liberty to be married to whom she will; only in the Lord.
- 1 Peter 3:7 Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered.
- Mark 10:11-12 And he saith unto them, Whosoever shall put away his wife, and marry another, committeth adultery against her. And if a woman shall put away her husband, and be married to another, she committeth adultery.
More Powerful Scriptures About Marriage
- Genesis 2:20-23 And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field; but for Adam there was not found an help meet for him. And the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof; And the rib, which the Lord God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man. And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.
- Ephesians 5:33 Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband.
- Genesis 2:18 And the Lord God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.
- Malachi 2:14-15 Yet ye say, Wherefore? Because the Lord hath been witness between thee and the wife of thy youth, against whom thou hast dealt treacherously: yet is she thy companion, and the wife of thy covenant. And did not he make one? Yet had he the residue of the spirit. And wherefore one? That he might seek a godly seed. Therefore take heed to your spirit, and let none deal treacherously against the wife of his youth.
- 1 Peter 3:1-5 Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives; While they behold your chaste conversation coupled with fear. Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel; But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price. For after this manner in the old time the holy women also, who trusted in God, adorned themselves, being in subjection unto their own husbands.
More Interesting Verses For Marriage
- 2 Chronicles 24:2-3 And Joash did that which was right in the sight of the Lord all the days of Jehoiada the priest. And Jehoiada took for him two wives; and he begat sons and daughters.
- 1 Peter 4:8 And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins.
- Proverbs 31:10 Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies.
- Matthew 19:4-8 And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female, And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh? Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder. They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away? He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.
More Interesting Verses About Marriage Cont'd
But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female. For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave to his wife; And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh.
And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.
1 Corinthians 7:12-15
But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away. And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him. For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy. But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace.
More Thought-Provoking Verses About Marriage
But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.
Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour. For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up. Again, if two lie together, then they have heat: but how can one be warm alone? And if one prevail against him, two shall withstand him; and a threefold cord is not quickly broken.
What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.
Mercy and truth are met together; righteousness and peace have kissed each other.
Thought-Provoking Verses About Marriage
When a man hath taken a new wife, he shall not go out to war, neither shall he be charged with any business: but he shall be free at home one year, and shall cheer up his wife which he hath taken.
For as a young man marrieth a virgin, so shall thy sons marry thee: and as the bridegroom rejoiceth over the bride, so shall thy God rejoice over thee.
A virtuous woman is a crown to her husband: but she that maketh ashamed is as rottenness in his bones.
For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.
More Scriptures On Marriage
1 John 4:7
Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.
1 Corinthians 7:2
Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.
With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love; Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.
So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.
1 Corinthians 11:11
Nevertheless neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord.
More Thought-Provoking Verses On Marriage
1 Timothy 3:2
A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.
And I will betroth thee unto me for ever; yea, I will betroth thee unto me in righteousness, and in judgment, and in lovingkindness, and in mercies.
More Bible Quotes About Marriage
1 Corinthians 7:3
Let the husband render unto the wife due benevolence: and likewise also the wife unto the husband.
It is better to dwell in the wilderness, than with a contentious and an angry woman.
Even though there are differences between men and women, in communication styles and preferences, we have to learn how to work and live together, and particularly as believers, marriage is to be held in great esteem and in great honor. And it's my hope that today that I will share with you some tips on how to have a healthy marriage free from adultery, unnecessary quarreling, and divorce.
One of the tips I want to leave with you is deferring to the other. There's a scripture that says that you are to esteem the other better than yourself and sometimes when you think about marriage, you often think about how you can get what you want out of the other person. For many, after the wedding invitations have gone out and they say I do, it now becomes about them, but God's love is a sacrificial love that brings about perfect unity
Colossians 3:14 And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness
It is good to think about what that other person needs, what the other person wants, and what that other person is actually saying during an argument, because a lot of times, the breakdown that happens in marriage is due to poor communication. And this happens to a married couple many times because the other person is only looking or concerned about what is happening in their own lives and what they want and how they feel. But if we use that spiritual principle of esteeming the other better than ourselves, then communication will be easier. Meeting the needs of others will be easier. And this goes both ways.
This is not just for the man. This is not just for the woman . It goes both ways in seeking to live in love; living in a marriage that God will be pleased with.
Secondly, God has put an order in the church, and an order in marriage where the man was created first and the woman was created for the man. And the Bible says the woman is to honor her husband as unto the Lord. And in the same way. The man is supposed to love his wife as Christ loves the church.
And so as a married couple, in terms of the roles between husband and wife we are to understand that we have differing roles, and the woman is supposed to yield to the man and the man is supposed to yield to God. And this is not in a domineering controlling kind of way, as many people in the world might think that it is.
It's just that with any organization, there is an order. And even if you have a leader in the union, which according to Scripture, is the man, that leader must serve as Christ would serve. Christ would not seek to control you or to take away your will or to do any kind of forceful thing. That's not how God deals with us. And it's not how God would have the man deal with his wife.
But the wife is supposed to likewise yield to her husband, not in doing something that is against the will of God, but in yielding to her husband as unto the Lord so that through her behavior as the scripture says that he may be converted (if he needs to be) because it's a precious thing in the eyes of a man to see a woman serve, honor, and respect him.
And if he is doing wrong, and she's still in that honoring position, it can literally ruffle his feathers and cause him to second guess how he is treating her. But many times women don't quite understand this dynamic in the mind of a man. But, it is in fact a dynamic.
And God of course admonishes the man to treat his wife well, to honor her and treat her as the weaker vessel. Just as Christ treats us as the weaker vessel in honoring us, giving us grace, and extending mercy to us, so too the man is to honor his wife, love his wife, and extend grace and mercy to her.
And the third tip: In marriage, children can be the wonderful result of a union and when children are born and child-rearing takes place, sometimes it becomes easy to put the children over the marital union. This should not be the norm. This should not be in terms of sexual relations with your spouse and spending time with your spouse and meeting the overall needs of your spouse. The marital relationship should be kept the number one priority in the household. Because without it, the other relationships between the father and his children and the mother and her children will greatly suffer.
I hope that these tips will help you in your quest to have a happy marriage .
Now I'm going to follow up with these Bible verses about marriage that will help you to trust the Lord, be led by the Holy Spirit in your marriage, and express God's love, grace and mercy to your spouse in Jesus' mighty name. By the leading and power of The Holy Spirit marriage is doable and very rewarding. May the Lord, Christ Jesus get the glory in your marriage as it is a picture of Christ and His wife, The Church.
Our scriptures come from both the New Testament and the Old Testament. These Bible verses about marriage are here to help you to see the truth of God's word when it comes to your union. May there be love and unity in your household in Jesus' Name.