Today, I'm going to share the answer to a very popular question about angels and that is: What do angels look like? It's not every day that you see an angel and in the bible, seeing angels was also rare. But it is my hope with this article to present to you depictions of what people have done to closely depict biblically accurate angels so you won't be falsely led to think that they appear like the chubby angels on the Valentine's day card that you got 12 years ago!
Angels in Church Art
Please note that the bible doesn't show conclusively the skin color and the exact clothing of the angels
More Attempts At Making Biblically Accurate Angels In Art
Looks look further in our study of depictions of biblically accurate angels. Please note that the bible doesn't show conclusively the skin color and the exact clothing of the angels.
So that was the artistry of man. What does God's Word say about how angels appear?
How does the Bible Describe Angels
We know from Daniel that the bible describes angels as having the appearance of men. But the living creatures, the cherubim, a class of angel, is described as having the faces of animals as well as that of a man. Let's read about this below.
Ezekiel1:5-14 Also from within it came the likeness of four living creatures. And this was their appearance: they had the likeness of a man. Each one had four faces, and each one had four wings. Their legs were straight, and the soles of their feet were like the soles of calves’ feet. They sparkled like the color of burnished bronze. The hands of a man were under their wings on their four sides; and each of the four had faces and wings. Their wings touched one another. The creatures did not turn when they went, but each one went straight forward. As for the likeness of their faces, each had the face of a man; each of the four had the face of a lion on the right side, each of the four had the face of an ox on the left side, and each of the four had the face of an eagle. Thus were their faces. Their wings stretched upward; two wings of each one touched one another, and two covered their bodies. And each one went straight forward; they went wherever the spirit wanted to go, and they did not turn when they went. As for the likeness of the living creatures, their appearance was like burning coals of fire, like the appearance of torches going back and forth among the living creatures. The fire was bright, and out of the fire went lightning. And the living creatures ran back and forth, in appearance like a flash of lightning.
And the same creatures are described in the book of Revelation. See here:
Revelation 4:6-8 And before the throne there was a sea of glass like unto crystal: and in the midst of the throne, and round about the throne, were four beasts full of eyes before and behind.7 And the first beast was like a lion, and the second beast like a calf, and the third beast had a face as a man, and the fourth beast was like a flying eagle.8 And the four beasts had each of them six wings about him; and they were full of eyes within: and they rest not day and night, saying, Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, which was, and is, and is to come.
More Scriptures About Angels
- Genesis 21:17 God heard the lad crying; and the angel of God called to Hagar from heaven and said to her, “What is the matter with you, Hagar? Do not fear, for God has heard the voice of the lad where he is.
- Luke 22:43 Now an angel from heaven appeared to Him, strengthening Him.
- 2 Thessalonians 1:7-8 and to give relief to you who are afflicted and to us as well when the Lord Jesus will be revealed from heaven with His mighty angels in flaming fire, dealing out retribution to those who do not know God and to those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus.
- Hebrews 1:6 And when He again brings the firstborn into the world, He says, “And let all the angels of God worship Him.”
- 1 Peter 3:22 who is at the right hand of God, having gone into heaven, after angels and authorities and powers had been subjected to Him.
- Revelation 18:1 After these things I saw another angel coming down from heaven, having great authority, and the earth was illumined with his glory.
- Revelation 20:1 Then I saw an angel coming down from heaven, holding the key of the abyss and a great chain in his hand.
- Matthew 25:31 “But when the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the angels with Him, then He will sit on His glorious throne.
- Matthew 26:53 Or do you think that I cannot appeal to My Father, and He will at once put at My disposal more than twelve legions of angels?
- Matthew 24:31 And He will send forth His angels with a great trumpet and they will gather together His elect from the four winds, from one end of the sky to the other.
- Hebrews 1:14 Are they not all ministering spirits, sent out to render service for the sake of those who will inherit salvation?
- Acts 27:23-24 For this very night an angel of the God to whom I belong and whom I serve stood before me, saying, ‘Do not be afraid, Paul; you must stand before Caesar; and behold, God has granted you all those who are sailing with you.’
- Exodus 14:19 The angel of God, who had been going before the camp of Israel, moved and went behind them; and the pillar of cloud moved from before them and stood behind them.
- Luke 4:10 for it is written, ‘He will command His angels concerning You to guard You,’
- 1 Kings 19:5-8 He lay down and slept under a juniper tree; and behold, there was an angel touching him, and he said to him, “Arise, eat.” Then he looked and behold, there was at his head a bread cake baked on hot stones, and a jar of water. So he ate and drank and lay down again. The angel of the Lord came again a second time and touched him and said, “Arise, eat, because the journey is too great for you.”read more.
- 2 Kings 6:15-17 Now when the attendant of the man of God had risen early and gone out, behold, an army with horses and chariots was circling the city. And his servant said to him, “Alas, my master! What shall we do?” So he answered, “Do not fear, for those who are with us are more than those who are with them.” Then Elisha prayed and said, “O Lord, I pray, open his eyes that he may see.” And the Lord opened the servant’s eyes and he saw; and behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha.
Conclusion: Different types/classes of angelic beings look differently. It would follow that their form is the result of God's intended purpose for them. Angels are not to be worshipped for they are not God. We worship the Creator, the King of Kings and Lord of Lords, The Almighty- God, our Father and The Lord Jesus Christ.
We hope that you've enjoyed our article on the descriptions and depictions of biblically accurate angels. God bless you.