By the grace of God, today, I'm going to share with you some very powerful Scriptures about grief. We need to share one or two Bible verses about this topic of grief because grief is something that is common to the human experience. The Lord Jesus Christ Himself had to go through grief. Sometimes, when going through grief, you can think that you're going through it all alone. But you're not. The Lord is with you.
Some Verses About Grief
Proverbs 10:10 He that winketh with the eye causeth sorrow: but a prating fool shall fall.
Proverbs 10:22 The blessing of the LORD, it maketh rich, and he addeth no sorrow with it.
Proverbs 15:13 A merry heart maketh a cheerful countenance: but by sorrow of the heart the spirit is broken.
- Job 41:22 In his neck remaineth strength, and sorrow is turned into joy before him.
- Psalms 13:2 How long shall I take counsel in my soul, [having] sorrow in my heart daily? how long shall mine enemy be exalted over me?
- Genesis 3:16 Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire [shall be] to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.
- Genesis 3:17 And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed [is] the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat [of] it all the days of thy life;
- Genesis 42:38 And he said, My son shall not go down with you; for his brother is dead, and he is left alone: if mischief befall him by the way in the which ye go, then shall ye bring down my gray hairs with sorrow to the grave.
- Genesis 44:29 And if ye take this also from me, and mischief befall him, ye shall bring down my gray hairs with sorrow to the grave.
- Genesis 44:31 It shall come to pass, when he seeth that the lad [is] not [with us], that he will die: and thy servants shall bring down the gray hairs of thy servant our father with sorrow to the grave.
- Exodus 15:14 The people shall hear, [and] be afraid: sorrow shall take hold on the inhabitants of Palestina.
- Leviticus 26:16 I also will do this unto you; I will even appoint over you terror, consumption, and the burning ague, that shall consume the eyes, and cause sorrow of heart: and ye shall sow your seed in vain, for your enemies shall eat it.
More Loss Scriptures
Grief Scriptures Cont'd
Grief is The Result of A Loss of Connection
The pain, despair, discomfort, hurt, and regret, can sometimes make you feel as if God has forsaken you. But the truth of the matter is, grief is something that lets you know that you were attached to something, and now that relationship has changed.
Grief Can Come In Many Forms
It is possible to grieve the loss of a business, relationship, or a loved one.
You can even grieve the loss of a book deal or freedom. You can grieve a lot of different things but the important thing to remember is that grief has been overcome by the Lord Jesus Christ Himself. He indeed declares that He has overcome the world and of course, and because He has overcome, we too shall overcome by faith in Him. God is a very present help to us in times of trouble.
He's very close as well to the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds (Isaiah 61). Do you have a broken heart? The Lord is very close to you and He can heal you.
You Can Be Healed From Any Form of Grief in Jesus' Name
Do you want to be made whole? Do you want to be healed? That's where these comforting Bible verses come in. And that's where the power of the Holy Spirit comes in.
Because God has provided healing even for emotional conflicts and emotional issues.
So the sadness that you feel will not last. The pain that you feel will not prevail. The tears that you cry will not overwhelm you. Because God is your hope. The Bible says that he who hopes in God shall never be ashamed.
Do you hope in Him? You will not be ashamed because of God's goodness. You will not be ashamed because He is your refuge. You will not be ashamed because of His unfailing love.
You will not be ashamed because of God's comfort towards you.
You may be enduring the grieving process but know that there's everlasting joy in the presence of the Lord. It is our prayer today, that if you're enduring the grieving process, that God will by His righteous right hand reach out to heal you and set you on the path of comfort and restoration.
The Lord Will Help You Overcome Grief
Grief is not easy, but it doesn't have to be a life sentence with faith in Christ Jesus. The Lord Jesus Christ has come to bind up the brokenhearted, to set at liberty those who are in bondage.
So, the scriptures that we have here are from the Old Testament and the New Testament, and they are here to give you hope and comfort as the Lord brings about great transformation in your life, in the midst of loss and grief, in Jesus' mighty Name. Take a bible verse or two and spend time with the Lord in your personal bible study meditating on each verse. Let these comforting Bible verses be instruments in the Lord's hand to give you peace, comfort, and healing in Christ Jesus' Name.