We're going to share Scriptures on the topic of death today. The comfort that we have even in the face of death is that by faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, we have eternal life. Jesus said it like this, he said that to know God, and to know Jesus Christ whom He has sent is, in fact, eternal life (John 17). And so while there may be instances of grief, heartache, despair and sorrow, as believers we understand that in Christ Jesus we have hope, because in Him, is eternal life and we can have this comfort of knowing that we have eternal life by grace through our faith in Him.
Comforting Bible Verses About Death
Revelation 21:4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
Matthew 5:1-3 And seeing the multitudes, he went up into a mountain: and when he was set, his disciples came unto him: And he opened his mouth, and taught them, saying, Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
John 11:25-26 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?
Romans 6:4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
Romans 14:8 For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord’s.
Romans 8:38-39 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
1 Thessalonians 4:14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.
- More Scriptures About Death Cont'd
- Psalm 73:26
- My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever.
- Philippians 3:20-21
- For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ: Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.
- Romans 8:13
- For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
- 1 Corinthians 15:51-57
- Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory. O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory? The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law. But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
- More Comforting Scriptures About Death
- Ecclesiastes 12:7
- Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.
- John 11:26
- And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?
- 1 Thessalonians 4:16-17
- For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
- More Verses on Death
- Isaiah 41:10
- Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.
- Psalm 147:3
- He healeth the broken in heart, and bindeth up their wounds. Romans 6:23
- For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
- Luke 23:43
- And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise.
- More Consoling Bible Quotes on Death
- 1 Corinthians 15:42-44
- So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption: It is sown in dishonour; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power: It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.
- Psalm 23:4
- Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
- 2 Corinthians 4:17-18
- For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory; While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.
- More Bible Quotes About Death
- Philippians 1:21
- For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.
- Matthew 10:28
- And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
- John 14:1-3
- Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father’s house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.
- More Bible Quotes About Death
- John 8:51
- Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep my saying, he shall never see death.
- 1 Corinthians 2:9
- But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.
- 2 Corinthians 5:8
- We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.
- 2 Timothy 2:11
- It is a faithful saying: For if we be dead with him, we shall also live with him:
- Psalm 34:18
- The Lord is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
- More Verse Quotes About Death
- 1 Corinthians 15:42-45
- So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption: It is sown in dishonour; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power: It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body. And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.
- Revelation 1:17-18
- And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last: I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.
- Song of Solomon 8:6
- Set me as a seal upon thine heart, as a seal upon thine arm: for love is strong as death; jealousy is cruel as the grave: the coals thereof are coals of fire, which hath a most vehement flame.
- Matthew 5:4
- Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted. Psalm 49:15
- But God will redeem my soul from the power of the grave: for he shall receive me. Selah.
- More Consoling Scriptural Quotes About Death Cont'd
- Revelation 14:13
- And I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, Write, Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth: Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labours; and their works do follow them.
- Psalm 146:4
- His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish.
- John 5:25
- Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.
- More Scriptural Quotes About Death
- Romans 14:7-9
- For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself. For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord’s. For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living.
- 1 Corinthians 15:22
- For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.
- Everlasting life is something that people around the world are on a quest to develop for themselves. However, everlasting life can only be given by God. But they futilely endure in their pursuit because, probably, like a lot of us, they've faced a broken heart and despair when someone who was close to them died. Going to a funeral is not easy. The mourning of a loved one takes the strength that only God can give.
- Nevertheless, even in the face of all of this, the Sovereign Lord in His great wisdom, made provisions for us, when He sent the Lord Jesus Christ because the scripture says that God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
- And so, for the believer, even though there may be mourning, and even though there may be crying, we are to have good courage in knowing that death is is not the end. Death is actually an entrance into a closer relationship with God for the Bible says that to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord.
- Death is not so for the unbeliever though and should be a time of mourning because only faith in the Lord Jesus Christ gives you everlasting life with Him, but to those who do not receive Him, their place is in the lake of fire for death and hell will be cast into the lake of fire!
- Revelation 20: 12-15 12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.
- So God sent His only begotten Son for this purpose - that by faith in Him we might have eternal life. Receive God's gift of eternal life. For God rose Jesus from the dead!
- And it is my prayer that these Bible passages that we've provided here from the Holy Bible, will help to instil faith, peace, hope, and strength in you, even in the face of trouble and sorrow. The funeral is not the end. You're going to spend eternity somewhere. Faith in Christ ensures that your eternity is spent with God and not in the lake of fire.
- You can take refuge through faith in God's love and in His salvation that He wrought in Christ by raising Him from the dead.