Prophecy Definition- What is Prophecy's Meaning In The Bible?
Prophecy is an inspired utterance of a prophet or prophetic minister as led by the Holy Spirit in accordance with the spiritual gift in 1 Corinthians 12. It can be a foretelling or forth-telling type utterance. Prophecy is given for edification, exhortation, and comfort according to Scripture. Prophecies or prophetic words will also help confirm that you hear the Voice of God clearly.
More Prophecy Definitions
- When someone prophesies or shares a prophetic utterance or word, they share a divinely inspired utterance or revelation.
- Prophecy therefore can be considered to be a divinely inspired revelation or interpretation.
- It is a message that has been communicated to a person (typically called a prophet) by a supernatural entity, and for us as Christians, this is the True and Living God who revealed Himself in the Person of The Lord Jesus Christ!
- A message from God is another prophecy definition.
- It is a message inspired by God, a divine revelation.
- Prophecy can be defined as a miracle of knowledge, a declaration or description or representation of something future.
- A Prophecy or prophetic word is a statement that says what is going to happen in the future.
- When you receive a prophecy or prophetic word it will help you hear God's voice because many times it's a confirmation of what The Lord has already been speaking to you.
- Prophecy is a singular prophetic word, and prophecies is the plural.
Prophesy vs Prophecy - Is There A Difference?
Prophecy is the noun and it is a prophetic word. However prophesy is the verb and denotes sharing or giving a prophecy.
Is there a Difference Between an Old Testament Prophet, and New Testament Prophecy? Listen To What John Piper has to say.
Table of Contents
- Prophecy Definition- What is Prophecy's Meaning In The Bible?
- Is there a Difference Between an Old Testament Prophet, and New Testament Prophecy? Listen To What John Piper has to say.
- Are There Prophecy Bible Verses From The Holy Bible That Define What Prophecy Is?
- Are There More Verses from God's Word on Prophesying, Biblical Prophecy and the work of A Biblical Prophet?
- Examples of Prophecies by Prophets Using The Prophetic Gift and The Work of a False Prophet Vs A True Prophet
- Example Prophecies of Jesus As The Messiah
- Example Prophecies of Jesus That He Spoke During His Earthly Ministry
Are There Prophecy Bible Verses From The Holy Bible That Define What Prophecy Is?
- 2 Peter 1:20 But know this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture is a matter of one’s own interpretation,
- 1 Corinthians 13:2 If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.
- Matthew 7:15 “Beware of the false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly are ravenous wolves. 2 Peter 2:1 But false prophets also arose among the people, just as there will also be false teachers among you, who will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them, bringing swift destruction upon themselves.
- 1 Corinthians 14:32 and the spirits of prophets are subject to prophets;
- 1 Corinthians 12:10 and to another the effecting of miracles, and to another prophecy, and to another the distinguishing of spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, and to another the interpretation of tongues. 1
- Corinthians 13:8 Love never fails; but if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away.
- Ephesians 2:20 having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus Himself being the corner stone
Are There More Helpful Scriptures on Prophesying From The Scriptures?
- 1 Corinthians 13:9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part;
- 1 Corinthians 14:5 Now I wish that you all spoke in tongues, but even more that you would prophesy; and greater is one who prophesies than one who speaks in tongues, unless he interprets, so that the church may receive edifying.
- Luke 24:27 Then beginning with Moses and with all the prophets, He explained to them the things concerning Himself in all the Scriptures.
- 2 Peter 1:21 for no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God.
- 2 Peter 1:19 So we have the prophetic word made more sure, to which you do well to pay attention as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star arises in your hearts.
- Deuteronomy 18:22 When a prophet speaks in the name of the Lord, if the thing does not come about or come true, that is the thing which the Lord has not spoken. The prophet has spoken it presumptuously; you shall not be afraid of him.
- 1 John 4:1 Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.
Are There More Verses from God's Word on Prophesying, Biblical Prophecy, and the Work of A Biblical Prophet?
- Romans 12:6 Since we have gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, each of us is to exercise them accordingly: if prophecy, according to the proportion of his faith;
- Revelation 22:18 I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues which are written in this book;
- Hebrews 1:1 God, after He spoke long ago to the fathers in the prophets in many portions and in many ways,
- Matthew 24:11 Many false prophets will arise and will mislead many.
- Revelation 19:10 Then I fell at his feet to worship him. But he *said to me, “Do not do that; I am a fellow servant of yours and your brethren who hold the testimony of Jesus; worship God. For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.”
- 1 Thessalonians 5:20 do not despise prophetic utterances.
- Revelation 1:3 Blessed is he who reads and those who hear the words of the prophecy, and heed the things which are written in it; for the time is near.
- 1 Peter 1:10 As to this salvation, the prophets who prophesied of the grace that would come to you made careful searches and inquiries,
- Psalm 105:15 “Do not touch My anointed ones, And do My prophets no harm.”
- Luke 24:44 Now He said to them, “These are My words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things which are written about Me in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled.”
Examples of Prophecies by Prophets Using The Prophetic Gift and The Work of a False Prophet Vs A True Prophet
- Proverbs 29:18 Where there is no vision, the people are unrestrained, But happy is he who keeps the law.
- Ezekiel 37:4 Again He said to me, “Prophesy over these bones and say to them, ‘O dry bones, hear the word of the Lord.’
- Jeremiah 23:16 Thus says the Lord of hosts, “Do not listen to the words of the prophets who are prophesying to you. They are leading you into futility; They speak a vision of their own imagination, Not from the mouth of the Lord.
- Jeremiah 23:25 “I have heard what the prophets have said who prophesy falsely in My name, saying, ‘I had a dream, I had a dream!’
- Isaiah 30:10 Who say to the seers, “You must not see visions”; And to the prophets, “You must not prophesy to us what is right, Speak to us pleasant words, Prophesy illusions.
Example Prophecies of Jesus As The Messiah
There are more than 300 prophecies about Jesus. The Lord Jesus was the promised Jewish Messiah and some 200-400 Prophecies attest to this Biblical Truth
Example Prophecies of Jesus That He Spoke During His Earthly Ministry
Why do you trouble the woman? For she has done a good work for me. For the poor you have with you always; but you do not always have me. For when she poured this perfume upon my body, she did it to prepare me for burial. Assuredly, I say to you, wherever this gospel is preached in the whole world, what this woman has done will also be told as a memorial to her.
Matthew 26:21, 22
And as they were eating, he said, "Truly I say unto you, that one of you shall betray me." And they were exceeding sorrowful, and began to say unto him every one, "Is it I, Lord?".
Peter replied, "Even if all fall away on account of you, I never will." "I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "This very night, before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times".
From that time Jesus began to show his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem, and suffer many things from the elders and chief priests and scribes.
You know that after two days is the Passover, and the Son of Man will be delivered up to be crucified.
On the next day, which followed the Day of Preparation, the chief priests and Pharisees gathered together to Pilate, saying, Sir, we remember, while he was still alive, how that deceiver said, 'After three days I will rise'.
He is not here; for he is risen, as He said.
Prophesy Synonyms from Across The Web